First of all, Special Learning Disability (SLD) (also known as dyslexia) is a problem that individuals encounter more clearly in primary school ages.
Although individuals are ordinary or gifted, they may have problems in skills such as reading, writing and speaking.
Although individuals actually have the capacity to learn, they have problems because they cannot reach learning paths. They can learn these, but they need special education to overcome these situations and there are differences in their learning.
A LOOK AT THE COMMON CHARACTERISTICS OF INDIVIDUALS WITH SPECIAL LEARNING DEFINITIONS
I should point out that most of us have one or two of these traits. This does not mean that we have dyslexia. Individuals with special learning difficulties have many of these features for a long time and therefore have learning difficulties. If we look at the situations in which he has difficulties;
– May have trouble learning to read.
– Can change the places of the letters in the words while reading and writing. E.g ; He can write the number 3 oppositely, mix the letter “b” with the letter “d”. In this situation, they have trouble understanding what they read.
– They can read slowly and in a low voice.
– They may be afraid to read.
– They have difficulty in writing their intentions and feelings.
– They can make a lot of typos.
– They learn to speak late. They have trouble getting the words out properly.
– They have trouble understanding connections.
– They can mix words such as before/after, right/left, yesterday/today/tomorrow.
SO WHAT SHOULD I DO AS A PARENT?
Many mothers and fathers may have the intention of whether there is a problem with their intelligence due to their child’s difficulties in math, reading and writing. It turns out that this is not without fault. In fact, some individuals with dyscalculia can be quite intelligent and successful.
Even Einstein is thought to have dyscalculia.
Actress Aslı ENVER, who is also successful in our country, said in an interview that she has a disc.
And even Walt Disney is known to have dyslexia.
For this reason, it is very valuable to provide early diagnosis and expert support to children who show these special signs of learning difficulties, which can be seen in geniuses, actors, even the founder of a world-famous big company.
It is possible for individuals to be successful in life with a faultless foundation and education.
WHAT IS NOT A LEARNING DIFFICULTY (DYSLEXIA, DYSCALCULIA, DYSGRAPHY, DYSPRAXIA)?
– It’s not about intelligence.
– It is not something that can be cured with medication.
– Not every child who has trouble learning is gifted or talented.
– He does not pass mathematics or Turkish by taking private lessons.
– The concept of dyslexia refers only to the situation of learning difficulty in the field of reading.
– Not every child who has learning difficulties has to use mindfulness medicine. Caution does not cure the trouble of learning the drugs, it is recommended to the family if the experts deem it appropriate.